Wednesday 4 July 2012

Forever Nigella - No Fuss Fruit Tart


Oh Nigella, it’s been a while.  Once again diverted by other things, a couple of Americans with a cake shop in Chiswick, a particularly good issue of the Good Food magazine...,  I’ve let your cakes and puddings fall out of my repertoire. But no more.
I am massively over-excited, and no, I haven’t been reading 50 Shades of Grey.





The exciting thing(s) that has(ve) happened is that (1) I am making a pudding to take to a BBQ tomorrow evening, (2) the Forever Nigella event this month is ‘Sizzling Summer’ and (3) I have managed to co-ordinate so that I can finally take part.
If you’ve read my blog before, you may have been aware that Nigella is where it all started for me. How to be a Domestic Goddess was myunlikely saviour in times of real crisis. I love her recipes, and her books - which are real books to read as well as great recipe books. I’ve come across the Forever Nigella event before and never managed to get myself organised enough to contribute, so I am very pleased to have got in there this month.

The July event is hosted by Amy at Cooking, Cakes andChildren for Sarah from Maison Cupcake
I know you’re all dying to know what I’m making, so hear it is: No Fuss Fruit tart from Kitchen. Kitchen has been one of my favourite Nigella books. I love Domestic Goddess and I always turn to Feast if I’m thinking of something special, but Kitchen, full of fantastic and easy family food is really a winner. However, until now, I have majored on the main courses (although I’ve made the Blondies several times - try replacing 50g of the oats with dessicated coconut), but I will be investigating the dessert sections more thoroughly in future.





I followed the recipe from the book, and you can find it on the BBC website here. This is the kind of recipe that I LOVE Nigella for – it looks amazingly fabulous, but it is just dead quick and easy, although you do need to make it at least 4 hours in advance.

The tart case is basically butter and digestive biscuits whizzed together into crumbs



and pressed into a tart tin.



The filling is a mixture of lemon curd and Philadelphia (stop drooling now) which you spread into the bottom of the biscuit case:


And you top it all off with a delightful mixture of summer fruits (I used raspberries, blackberries, strawberries and blueberries).


 Now the only question is whether it will make it till tomorrow evening.


13 comments:

  1. er no....coffee at yours tomorrow?! Well done flower..looks fantastic AND I may even have a go at one myself... x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know I'm ashamed to say it but I've barely scraped the surface of "Kitchen" so this tart is new to me. It looks fabulous and I love the sound of the biscuit crust. Thanks for taking part in Forever Nigella!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it is a really good one, Kitchen. My kids have eaten their way happily though most of her 'what shall we eat this evening' meals - African chicken drumsticks is a massive fabourite in our house - and they are the kind of dead easy cook again crowd pleasers that just fill you with relief!

      Delete
  3. oh my This is too much for me. I'm drooling. Lemon curd and Philadelphia. Nigella is officially my lady crush! Looks fab RJ. Enjoy the BBQ :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh mine too! And while I haven't been overly keen at the thought of the chocolate philly before now, I'm starting to wonder what it would be like, say mixed with a shredless marmalade...

      Delete
  4. Your no-bake fruit tart look really easy to make. Nice and handy for less minute entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it is very very easy and looks fab. The only thing i would say is that Nigella recommends at least 4 hours in the fridge prior to serving so that the crust can harden up enough for you to remove it from its case and slice.

      Delete
  5. Oh I love the sound of this - and my girls would adore it too xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-) - it's promtped me to think of lots of variations too. I'm thinking ginger nut biscuits for the case next time!

      Delete
  6. Your tart looks amazing. I have also taken part with the Forever Nigella blog hop using the same recipe, but I must say your tart looks better than mine!. I have taken a look at your blog, and it's fantastic, keep on sharing the lovely recipes and baking. I also agree that Kitchen is one of the better Nigella cookbooks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ***UPDATE UPDATE*** pleased to report that I made this using cherry jam instead of lemon curd, and topped it with raspberries only and grated some dark choc on top and it was lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi! Looks fabulous! Just wondering whether you garnished the tart with the fruit before or after the 4 hour setting in the fridge? Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments - please leave one. Unfortunately, I have been getting hideous amounts of SPAM so please can you do the word verification thingy?

UA-44695690-1