Tuesday 9 September 2014

Blackberry & Apple Cake

So the weather is perfect Indian Summer weather here in West Wales. 

There's a definite Autumnal chill to the mornings - mists and mellow fruitfulness abounding (more about the mellow fruitfulness to come, as you'd probably guessed).




You can tell the seasons are on the turn - the swallows are massing, chattering noisily before swooping off to make a few turns then returning to the telephone wire, eventually to push off to warmer climes. 





The holidaymakers have dwindled with the return to school, leaving the roads clearer and the beaches emptier - but the sun is still shining





Someone, I can' t remember who, queried whether there'd be blackberries here, this close to the sea, but I'm pleased to say that there are - and they are beautiful. One of the things about moving house is that it's the little things that you have to rediscover that can be the most tricky - where to get your tyres changed, where to go to the dentist, where to pick your blackberries... Believe me, the blackberries were a great concern.

But I needn't have worried. The lanes where the dog gets his standard walk (counting down the days now till we can hit our favourite beaches again) are full of the most fantastic blackberries.- luscious and plentiful. I am scratched and stung, but can't resist another 'pick' each time we go out.




Not only blackberries, but apples are also plentiful, and we've been in receipt of various bags of locally grown bounty. It's fantastic.




This cake came originally from a Good Food recipe, but my cake tins are slightly bigger than those required by the original recipe, and after much bitter complaining (well, perhaps I exaggerate) by the Husband that there's never any cake left by the time he gets to the tins, I decided to make not just one cake (which I was going to do, to take to a new friend who has invited me round for a coffee tomorrow), but 2. So I've increased the recipe accordingly to give two 23 cm cakes. If you want to just make one cake, the link is above, but when has having 2 cakes ever been a problem? I think this will probably freeze well - although perhaps leave off the hazelnuts and icing sugar.

What makes this cake is the ground almonds, I mean I know I'm a fan and everything, but it really does make a delicious moist sponge, a perfect foil to the tangy fruit. The hazelnuts make a good crunch, and eaten warm with a blob of cream, well, it's just a taste of the Welsh - English - British Autumn.




Blackberry & Apple Cake

Ingredients
juice of half a lemon
4 small- medium sized cooking apples
290g unsalted butter, softened
290g caster sugar
7 large eggs
230g self raising flour
70g ground almonds
230g blackberries

For the topping
4 tbsp demerara sugar
50g unsalted butter
a good shake of cinammon

50g peeled toasted hazelnuts
icing sugar for dusting

You also need 2 x 23 cm springform tins, greased and lined.

Pre-heat the oven to 160C.

Put the lemon juice in a bowl, peel and core the apples and cut each into 12 slices and toss the slices into the lemon juice - this will stop them going brown before you fold the slices into the cake batter.

Cream together the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.

Whisk together the eggs, then slowly add 2/3 of the mixture to the butter & sugar, beating all the time. If the mixture looks curdled, add a little of the flour.

Once 2/3 of the eggs have been beaten in thoroughly, fold in the remaining eggs, then the flour and ground almonds. 

Fold in the blackberries and most of the apple slices to the batter, then divide between the 2 tins.

Bang down the tins and smooth down the batter gently, then scatter over the remaining apple slices.

Put the sugar and cinnammon for the topping into a  bowl and chop through the butter as if you were making a crumble topping. Sprinkle this over the 2 cakes then bake them for 50-60 minutes till a skewer comes out clean.

When the cakes come out of the oven, sprinkle over the hazelnuts, then leave to cool, dusting with icing sugar before serving warm with the breath of the oven and some lovely cream (although feel free to eat it cold with a cup of tea too).



13 comments:

  1. Yummy looking cake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm loving this weather. Love the chilly misty mornings that burn away to reveal blue skies. Also adore your cake!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dom - yes, this is absolutely my favourite time of year - I remember this sort of weather even made London bearable many years ago! The cake is delicious. I recommend it!

      Delete
  3. Delicious! It's been an amazing crop this year hasn't it? x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just fabulous - I seem to spending my time picking seeds out of my teeth! And there are still loads around.

      Delete
  4. Delicious sounding cakes. Is two really enough? If I see blackberries then I can't stop picking them and I've seen plenty lately. I've been making blackberry ketchup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phil, I'm intrigued by blackberry ketchup - is it like coulis but thicker and spicier??

      Delete
    2. Sorry for not replying sooner - I've been out of contact (in Wales, funnily enough). The blackberry ketchup is just like good old tomato ketchup but made from blackberries. Sounds odd but it's delicious. It's actually a recipe from Thane Prince's new book 'Perfect Preserves' but I found it in a free Waitrose Weekend mag. It's promoted as going well with pork (and it does), but I can confirm that it also goes very well with a burger made from Ifor’s Welsh Wagyu beef. (I'm such a middle-class tourist these days - how did that happen?).

      Delete
    3. Hmm where in Wales were you for Ifor's Wagyu beef? I#ll have to look him up... Am intrigued by the ketchup now - and have spotted some new blackberry bushes, still laden, so may be I'll give it a go. Although the first frost isn't far off, I'm betting, so better be quick, or the devil will be in them... Hope you had a good trip.

      Delete
  5. It sounds like an absolutely fantastic cake - I know I'd love this!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments - please leave one. Unfortunately, I have been getting hideous amounts of SPAM so please can you do the word verification thingy?

UA-44695690-1