Sunday 19 May 2013

Sage & Onion Stuffing - made fresh for Fresh Week


Stuffing is something that I'll readily admit to buying, dried, ready to reconstitute with water and roast. With the challenge of Fresh Week upon me, I decided to make my own to go with the roast pork we had on Sunday.

Adapting a recipe from Mrs Beeton that I found reproduced on line, it was very straightforward, and with a food processor, really not much more trouble than opening a packet and adding boiling water. Tasty too!

4 onions, peeled, but left whole
A handful of sage leaves
125g bread crumbs
40g butter cut into small pieces
1 small egg
salt & pepper

Bring a pan of water to the boil and add the onions to cook for 5 minutes. Chuck in the sage leaves for the last minute of cooking. I did this in the pan that I was parboiling the spuds before roasting.

Chop the sage and onion finely in a food processor or with a knife, then mix together with the bread crumbs, butter and the egg, and season.

Put the stuffing into a tin (I adapted one of my tins using tin foil), even out and bake for 30 - 40 minutes or so with your meat.



Unfortunately, we ate it all before I got the chance to take a photograph, but I'd definitely make it again. If you're planning a roast for your Fresh Week Sunday dinner, I'd recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments - please leave one. Unfortunately, I have been getting hideous amounts of SPAM so please can you do the word verification thingy?

UA-44695690-1