Sunday 9 September 2012

Cambodian Wedding Day Dip


On Thursday night, I went to a ‘bring and share’ supper with a group of friends. What to bring? What to share?

Well, ever since I got my hands on Veg Everyday, I have been dying to make the Cambodian wedding Day Dip, but either the occasion hasn’t presented itself, or, when it has, I’ve managed to forget about the recipe temporarily.

Anyway, I had my memory refreshed when I saw the last round up of the Bookmarked Recipes Challenge and the next thing I know, there’s an occasion to make it.


 
 
 
It’s  truly delicious – as good as I imagined it would be: spicy but not overpoweringly so (although I’ll admit to using a whole, milder chilli including seeds, as opposed to half a hot red chilli specified in the book version of the recipe) and although it doesn’t taste particularly mushroomy, the mushrooms are definitely there. The recipe appears on the Channel 4 website, and you can access it here .

 Time was tight when I made it, so I’ll admit to chopping my mushrooms in the food processor, and may have slightly overdone it, but in the end it all turned out fine. It’s not the most beautiful thing to look at in the initial stages of preparation, either,  and I had to watch it to make sure it didn’t stick and burn on the pan during the bubbling phase (once the coconut milk is added). I used the juice of a whole lime and a couple of splashes of light soy sauce, and sprinkled the top with some chopped coriander. I also took along some ‘easy crispy pitta’  – pre-heat the oven to 200C, slice up the pitta breads width ways, spread out on a baking sheet and pop in the oven for 10 mins or so till dry and crispy.
 

I was the subject of some interrogation when I added the dish to the spread – there were a couple of wrinkled noses (I had hoped to avoid saying that it had mushrooms as its major ingredient), but I think nearly everyone tried it and it all disappeared – no hope of taking leftovers home and feeding them to the Husband.

It would be a great thing to serve at a drinks party or as a starter – definitely one I will come back to.

9 comments:

  1. That looks like a delicious new dip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really good - although not perhaps the prettiest thing to look at!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. it was lovely - will definitely make it again!

      Delete
  3. I've been meaning to make this dip for a while now...your version looks great.
    Popping over from the bookmarked recipes linky to say hi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah it's delicious! Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
  4. It was a real success then and everyone obviously loved it. I must go back to that cookbook and make more dishes. Thanks for entering it into this month's Bookmarked Recipes. I am just writing it up now :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've bookmarked this recipe, too, and so happy to hear it was gobbled up by your guests. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. 3 Studies SHOW How Coconut Oil Kills Fat.

    The meaning of this is that you actually burn fat by consuming coconut fat (including coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 researches from major medical journals are sure to turn the conventional nutrition world around!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments - please leave one. Unfortunately, I have been getting hideous amounts of SPAM so please can you do the word verification thingy?

UA-44695690-1